Often considered to be the opposite of filters within a modular system, wavefolders are designed to fold a signal over itself multiple times. This generates additional harmonics, resulting in rich timbres.
While there is a bewildering array of filter types within the synthesiser world, most wavefolders fall within only a few categories. Diode wavefolders in particular come in just two variants: series and parallel circuit topologies. Choosing a specific folder also means being limited to specific sounds and capabilities.
For the first time, Fold 6 puts forward a 6-stage hybrid series/parallel topology, yielding a greater sonic palette than ever in just 4 HP. Having both main (series) and alternate (parallel) outputs means a single module now gives access to just about all wavefolding tones imaginable.
To take things even further, an integrated symmetrical soft clipper limits the output signals to approximately 10 Vpp, keeping the amplitude within typical Eurorack levels and making it easier to create overdriven sounds at high fold ratios. This clipping stage can be driven continuously using the shape parameter, smoothly transforming the folded waveforms into pulse waves for even more harmonic content.
Two signal inputs are included, to mix audio signals or add in a DC voltage for asymmetric folding. The symmetry can also be manually controlled using the dedicated knob. Of course, both fold and shape parameters feature voltage control, to enable continuous timbral modulation.
Moving beyond simple signal processing, Fold 6 also lends itself perfectly for feedback patching, CV folding or frequency multiplication; its modest size belies the sonic capabilities within.
- Simultaneous series and parallel analogue diode-based six-stage wavefolder in just 4 HP.
- Symmetry control allows for asymmetric folding.
- Soft clipping stage keeps output amplitudes to manageable levels.
- Voltage controlled overdrive shaping for added harmonics.
- Dual signal inputs increase patching flexibility.
- Precision-milled 2 mm anodised aluminium front panel with high-resolution, non-erasable graphics.
- Bullet-proof design: polarised power header and MOSFET protection circuit.
- Includes 16-to-10-pin Eurorack power ribbon cable.
- Premium mounting hardware: black screws, black nylon washers and matching hex key.
- High-quality components and assembly; designed and made in Belgium.